Monday, June 8, 2009

Yes, MORE New Kids - Fairfax, VA Concert Photos

I admit, this was a great show. Actually, it was a great day. I was at a fundraiser I was helping out with prior to the show starting for the Komen Foundation/Betty Wood Foundation, and what happens? Danny Wood's father called me on my cell phone. I know many of you might not find this to be a huge thing - but really it was. I had given him my information and told him about the even on the cruise. He had been really touched as the foundation is named after his late wife who died from Breast Cancer several years ago. My guess was that even though he wanted the information, we would not hear from him. I was wrong. About ten minutes into the event I had a strange number pop up on my phone. Since we were meeting a lot of new people for the first time, and I had given my number out I decided to answer it. The reception was horrible, the Bar and Grill we were at was loud. But through the crackling noise and me saying "Hello? Who is this again?" I got "This is Mr Wood, Danny's Dad you met on the cruise." At that point I will admit, I started shaking a bit. I walked to where I could hear him, and he said that he just wanted to call and thank everyone for their efforts, and tell us to enjoy the show as much as humanly possible. We talked for a couple of minutes, and I can honestly say I have never met a more genuinely kind human being. When I got off the phone (after thanking him over and over and over) Allison Hadley (who was in charge) had me tell the entire group he called and wished them well. I was still a little bit in shock, but managed to get myself together and keep working on the fundraiser. I have to say that it was a HUGE success. Allison did a WONDERFUL job on it - and I do not think that anything could have been better.

After the pre-party/Betty Wood Foundation fundraiser Caroline and I rushed over to get in line for the Meet and Greet, and VIP party. This is something you pay for when you get your tickets. Instead of the usual thing where you just buy your seat, here you get to meet the New Kids, have a picture (actually they take two), you get a nice goodie bag, a VIP card to wear, and another pre-party with free food and drinks. Since the meet and greet is done in groups of ten, you usually try to find an even number of girls for each guy: so two Jon girls, two Jordan girls, and so forth. We found our group on the boards a while back and they were all wonderful. I could have spent DAYS with them and had fun. We were group "N" - so a bit toward the back. The meet and greet was really fast, I would say were were only in there about two minutes before the picture, maybe less. I went to Danny with Allison to tell him about the event, then (as you can guess) went right to Jon for the picture! I looked straight at him like "YOU! = MINE!" I walked over, snuggled up under his left arm, and Allison did the same on his right. Allison said "Hi, we are both Allison." Jon replied with "One L, or two?" We said "Two!" Jon said, "Ohh, Just like my Sistah!" Then we took the two pictures. After that I got one HUGE, LONG hug. It was very genuine, and I was more than glad I was able to go. On my way out I stopped and looked at Jordan. He did not seem to be up for a hug, so I put my hand out and he took it and said hello for a minute. Very nice, very sweet, and very polite. I will post the group photos here when I get them, but until then I can only show you my concert photos...which turned out good because our seats were in the fourth row, a bit left of center. Here is the slideshow (Feel free to click on the box to go to the location of the pictures and watch a few short videos!)



I am sure many of you are wondering why I would go to another show so soon after seeing them last year, and again on the cruise. Well - it was so much fun, and as you can probably tell they really did a great job making a totally new show. My favorite part of the show was when they would mess up, or when you could tell that they ALL were having a great time on the stage - just being "them" and goofing off. It is nice to see performers really enjoying themselves, don't you think?

A side note for the weekend. We are staying at the Hyatt Fair Lakes in Fairfax Virginia. This weekend was Celebrate Fairfax, a carnival, festival, show all in one for the residents. They brought in a very eclectic group of performers, and while we did not GO to the shows, we did see one of them in the lobby, and were finally brave enough to ask for a photo when we chased him outside.



You may not recognize him, but I have ONE question for you: "You down with OPP?" Yes, this is the lead singer of the early 90's rap group Naughty by Nature. I think I had their CD at some point until my mother took it away from me. When we asked for a picture he was more than kind, and his bodyguard even took it for us. He may have been a little caught off guard that the two very, very white girls in the lobby knew who he was, as we were the only ones who seemed to. Alas, I am glad I was able to meet him.

Overall, it has been a wonderful weekend away from home. I will be headed back tomorrow to face the wrath of Cleo - but I am sure she will be quite happy to have me home. Caroline can stay a few more days which is even more wonderful. It gets lonely in a house with only a Cleo to talk to (even though she is a great talker). I hope everyone is doing well, and I am off to take a nap. Enjoy the pictures, and hopefully I will have more adventures to share soon!

3 comments:

Diana said...

Glad you had a good time at both! It's great that you get to do these things now :)

martha said...

Sounds like you had a great time. The phone call thing was really cool!

martha said...

Sounds like you had a great time. The phone call thing was really cool!