Yesterday was the last day of classes before the Thanksgiving Break! To celebrate a week off I left campus in a rush to go and see the Trans-Siberian Orchestra in Greensboro, NC. We left at 3:15 and drove the hour and a half south...the roads were really windy but it was actually a pretty drive. There is a lot of "nothing" between here and Greensboro, which did not help later. Oh, and we went to eat at PF Changs which was the best! Yay yummy foods!
The concert was really good, and pretty similar to the one that I went to see with Diana, Jonathan, and Justin two years ago in Dallas. They did all the classic things and some newer stuff - along with a stellar rendition of "O Fortuna" from Carmina Burana. We had good seats - about say 10 rows up from the floor, about half way back. I ended up with a really, really sore neck from looking to my left for three hours, but I think it was worth it. There were a lot of kids there, and we had one on the inside of our row. Him and his parents felt the need to go to he bathroom/concession stand/etc about 10 times. That was no fun. Traffic was interesting getting out. The fact that people do NOT know how to merge appropriately was obvious. I think that you should have to go to a class if you do not know how use your blinker.
I think the most interesting part of the trip was on the way back though. This is when we got LOST. The highway we were on just well...ENDED! I knew we were on the right road, but well... what do you do when the highway just STOPS? Well we turned around a few times, tried to find where the the route must have turned off, but it was not that simple. You would think that Route 220 North is a busy enough road that NC would invest in road signs for it, but no. After driving back and forth, ended up at the airport, going into several residential areas - we decided to go with the McDonalds approach. We went towards a McDonalds that looked familiar...and get this...the road had just TURNED! Down the street there was finally a sign for 220! An hour and a half later, we were on the way home. Well, after we stopped to get gas. At that point I ask if I should get a map, just in case. Then I hear this "oh it is ok there is an Atlas in the back seat." WHAT? We have an ATLAS?!?!?! Yeah - information that would have been valuable AN HOUR AGO!
Alas, the adventure is over. I made it home safely, even though it was really late. It was fun, but I think that I am going to stay out of NC for a while, at least until they upgrade their signage!
The concert was really good, and pretty similar to the one that I went to see with Diana, Jonathan, and Justin two years ago in Dallas. They did all the classic things and some newer stuff - along with a stellar rendition of "O Fortuna" from Carmina Burana. We had good seats - about say 10 rows up from the floor, about half way back. I ended up with a really, really sore neck from looking to my left for three hours, but I think it was worth it. There were a lot of kids there, and we had one on the inside of our row. Him and his parents felt the need to go to he bathroom/concession stand/etc about 10 times. That was no fun. Traffic was interesting getting out. The fact that people do NOT know how to merge appropriately was obvious. I think that you should have to go to a class if you do not know how use your blinker.
I think the most interesting part of the trip was on the way back though. This is when we got LOST. The highway we were on just well...ENDED! I knew we were on the right road, but well... what do you do when the highway just STOPS? Well we turned around a few times, tried to find where the the route must have turned off, but it was not that simple. You would think that Route 220 North is a busy enough road that NC would invest in road signs for it, but no. After driving back and forth, ended up at the airport, going into several residential areas - we decided to go with the McDonalds approach. We went towards a McDonalds that looked familiar...and get this...the road had just TURNED! Down the street there was finally a sign for 220! An hour and a half later, we were on the way home. Well, after we stopped to get gas. At that point I ask if I should get a map, just in case. Then I hear this "oh it is ok there is an Atlas in the back seat." WHAT? We have an ATLAS?!?!?! Yeah - information that would have been valuable AN HOUR AGO!
Alas, the adventure is over. I made it home safely, even though it was really late. It was fun, but I think that I am going to stay out of NC for a while, at least until they upgrade their signage!
No comments:
Post a Comment