I have finished my first REAL week of a REAL job. What can I say about having a real job for the first time? It can be a bit more interesting than you might believe. I came here expecting to spend a lot of time working on lecture notes, grading, and student issues - mixed in with the occasional committee assignment and finishing my dissertation. This is NOT how the week started out.
****
Day 1: RIP MUFFIN! It started out normal enough. We had a ceremony in the morning where we had to wear the funny academic regalia gear. If you have not seen this - it is the one way to make nerds that have advanced degrees even nerdier. So in the gown, hat, and funny hood I walked down to the Chapel to meet the Freshman. Faculty all walk in together, then generally sit down through the ceremony. Unfortunately - there were no seats. My back and I stood for around an hour, which was far too long. Even though I recently had surgery, since I was not set up with a PCP here I had just run out of any pain medication. OOPS. I made it back to my nice office...barely. By then I was in more pain than I ever was in the hospital, and needed some time to rest. This is when I met Muffin. Muffin was introduced by a screeching student in the hallway. The poor, fat mole had made his way into the basement of Roberts Hall. He was run out of every office in the building, but made it to mine. The Dean really wanted him out of the building, and since I was the only one that did not think he was terrifying, I said I would catch him and let him free. After about two hours with a box...I had trapped Muffin in the break room. I am not sure exactly HOW it happened...but somehow Muffin bit it. He was dead. Perhaps he was squished, perhaps he had a heart attack. Poor Muffin. He was a good mole. Maybe his death will help me get tenure. Later that day I actually had some real work: My FIRST class. This was an Introductory Psych course, and 99% freshman. I had some trouble getting them to calm down, but after that they were pretty good. The good thing is that they are very talkative...even to me. SO - that was the first day.
****
Day 1: RIP MUFFIN! It started out normal enough. We had a ceremony in the morning where we had to wear the funny academic regalia gear. If you have not seen this - it is the one way to make nerds that have advanced degrees even nerdier. So in the gown, hat, and funny hood I walked down to the Chapel to meet the Freshman. Faculty all walk in together, then generally sit down through the ceremony. Unfortunately - there were no seats. My back and I stood for around an hour, which was far too long. Even though I recently had surgery, since I was not set up with a PCP here I had just run out of any pain medication. OOPS. I made it back to my nice office...barely. By then I was in more pain than I ever was in the hospital, and needed some time to rest. This is when I met Muffin. Muffin was introduced by a screeching student in the hallway. The poor, fat mole had made his way into the basement of Roberts Hall. He was run out of every office in the building, but made it to mine. The Dean really wanted him out of the building, and since I was the only one that did not think he was terrifying, I said I would catch him and let him free. After about two hours with a box...I had trapped Muffin in the break room. I am not sure exactly HOW it happened...but somehow Muffin bit it. He was dead. Perhaps he was squished, perhaps he had a heart attack. Poor Muffin. He was a good mole. Maybe his death will help me get tenure. Later that day I actually had some real work: My FIRST class. This was an Introductory Psych course, and 99% freshman. I had some trouble getting them to calm down, but after that they were pretty good. The good thing is that they are very talkative...even to me. SO - that was the first day.
****
The rest of the week has been much LESS uneventful, which makes me very happy. Things have went well even though they are quite busy. This weekend I am spending some time with Cleo and catching up on work. I also am cat-sitting for one of the other professors...mainly just went by to make sure that the cute kitties were in one piece. I took them a couple of extra toys and they sold out immediately. Unfortunately when I was petting one that was sitting in my lap someone decided to run by and beat on the door the the apartment for fun. This terrified the cute kitty, and well...I have some pretty deep scratches on my left wrist/palm/arm/hand. Oh well, I guess I have technically had worse...
The rest of the week has been much LESS uneventful, which makes me very happy. Things have went well even though they are quite busy. This weekend I am spending some time with Cleo and catching up on work. I also am cat-sitting for one of the other professors...mainly just went by to make sure that the cute kitties were in one piece. I took them a couple of extra toys and they sold out immediately. Unfortunately when I was petting one that was sitting in my lap someone decided to run by and beat on the door the the apartment for fun. This terrified the cute kitty, and well...I have some pretty deep scratches on my left wrist/palm/arm/hand. Oh well, I guess I have technically had worse...
3 comments:
The ceremony sounds horrible and poor Muffin! Glad the rest was nice and uneventful for you.
I hope things calm down for you!
That's so sad about the mole. Moles are awesome. Maybe he knew what you do to small rodents for a living and figured he'd take the easy way out.
Post a Comment