Monday, March 3, 2008

Wow, I am a Nerd. Thanks Rebekah!

So I got this from Rebekah:
My sister in law got me so here I go. I did alter the first rule a bit. Hey, no one said these were hard and fast rules. ;)1. Pick up the nearest book (with at least 123 pages) or the book you are currently reading2. Turn to page 123. Find the 5th sentence. Post the next three sentences. Tag 5 people.
***********
Here is mine:
"Extinction. What about other aspects of conditioning? For example, can the model explain decreases in responding as well as increases. Yes, and it does so using exactly the same equation used to predict conditioning. The key to understanding how one equation can predict diametrically opposite results lies in V(max). We have said that V(max) is the strength of the association that would be produced is a CS and US were paired repeatedly. In extinction, we know that the level of conditioning reached after extended traiing is zero. The value of V(max) on any trial in which a US is not presented, therefore, must be zero" (Lieberman, 2007, p.123).

*************
I decided to go with the entire small paragraph as not to leave anyone in suspense. The real question: can anyone name the model of conditioning that this is referencing? (Caroline cannot answer, and neither can Diana). So if you know it, withOUT using the internet - I will mail you a $5 check or something. Maybe that giftcard to Starbucks that Diana mentioned? We will see.
I am going to tag Diana, Caroline, Amy AND Ryan, Sonia, and Karla (I know you read this) - feel free to post yours here. :) Or send it to me and I will go ahead and publish it.
**********************************************************************

7 comments:

karla said...

The closest book was "The Boy in Striped Pajamas" by John Boyne.

'But why not?' asked the woman. 'It's so pretty that way.'

'Eva!' roared the Fury for a second time, and now she started to walk away from them.

'It was lovely to meet you both,' she said, before stepping into the dining room and sitting down on the Fury's left-hand side.

And I have no idea about what the model is.

Sonia said...

The book I had closest to me was The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. It's one of my favorite books and I'm always in the middle of rereading it.
I'll follow suite with a paragraph as well:
I was thinking that if I'd had the sense to go on living in that old town I might just have met this prison guard in school and married him and had a parcel of little kids bye now. It would be nice, living by the sea with piles of little kids and pigs and chickens, wearing what my grandmother called wash dresses, and sitting about in some kitchen with bright linoleum and fat arms, drinking pots of coffee.

This comment box wouldn't let me put a picture of the book cover up.

Allison Hollingsworth Deming said...

Well, there are two people who seem to have more normal books than me...maybe I should try tagging Melissa...she is a librarisn!

melissa @ 1lbr said...

AHAHAHAHA, I was thinking I should use a book that I was reading for fun, but since you wanted something geeky, I will reach for the nearest book, which just so happens to be...
*drum roll*
Developing Library and Information Center Collections
(I bet you are sad it wasn't something dental hygienic! :)
"Electronic versions may solve some of the storage issues associated with newpaper backfiles. They also work well for many readers, as the articles are not very long, and people are more willing to read a short article without wanting to print a hard copy. Often, however, people demand good-quality printing capability for electronic journal articles because of their length."

At least mine is readable - I must admit, I didn't even finish the paragraph from your book - WAY over my head :)

Caroline said...

I honestly don't think anyone else who reads your blog would care to venture a guess. I'll do it when I get home and don't have to run out to my car to find the nearest book.

Diana said...

I posted mine on my blog, so I won't say it here. Let's just say, she's not as nerdy as you all think (or there are some of us that are just as nerdy? probably more like it).

Rebekah said...

Ha ha ha!! Nice book. That all sounds very familiar. I'm sure Ben would know the answer if I asked him. Thanks Allison. :D Now go read something fun! ;)