And this would be Home, Sweet Home....I hope they do not have winds in El Paso like Lubbock.***
Sorry for the cheesy LDS reference, but I could not help myself. I talked to Justin today after he made it to El Paso for training at Fort Bliss. I guess to make it more "Iraq-like". The odd thing about this is that when they are actually in Iraq they will be living in two man quarters with internet, beds, and all that good stuff. I guess you could call it slightly downgraded dorm life. He was happy not to have to share a bunk bed. He was able to do this by being one of the first in line into the huge tent. Apparently the way they claim beds is by throwing their crap on them. This give me the distinct image of my brother and I as children yelling "shotgun" as soon as we were out the door going somewhere with my mother. Apparently, in the Army the selection methods have stayed at about the same level of processing. For those of you who are interested, Justin will be there two weeks for training. Then he will have leave for a week and a half, and be here.
I am at home mainly working on my dissertation. I have some small parts to finish up and there is some editing involved that Dr Young is having me do (for the better of course). That will be my weekend. I know, it is exciting - but if I would like to move to Virginia and do all of those fun things, this must in fact be done. Alas, if you have any time to call me this weekend and distract me from my work, PLEASE feel free to do so.
A kitteh to enjoy:
Sorry for the cheesy LDS reference, but I could not help myself. I talked to Justin today after he made it to El Paso for training at Fort Bliss. I guess to make it more "Iraq-like". The odd thing about this is that when they are actually in Iraq they will be living in two man quarters with internet, beds, and all that good stuff. I guess you could call it slightly downgraded dorm life. He was happy not to have to share a bunk bed. He was able to do this by being one of the first in line into the huge tent. Apparently the way they claim beds is by throwing their crap on them. This give me the distinct image of my brother and I as children yelling "shotgun" as soon as we were out the door going somewhere with my mother. Apparently, in the Army the selection methods have stayed at about the same level of processing. For those of you who are interested, Justin will be there two weeks for training. Then he will have leave for a week and a half, and be here.
I am at home mainly working on my dissertation. I have some small parts to finish up and there is some editing involved that Dr Young is having me do (for the better of course). That will be my weekend. I know, it is exciting - but if I would like to move to Virginia and do all of those fun things, this must in fact be done. Alas, if you have any time to call me this weekend and distract me from my work, PLEASE feel free to do so.
A kitteh to enjoy:
And a pic of Squishy!

4 comments:
Good luck Justin!
Fort Bliss? Talk about your misnomers. I imagine Fort Bliss to at least include one's wife (or husband:)
When I first read that I thought you said at least ONE wife, and I thought...hm...two would make it Fort Hades. In my opinion.
But yeah, I guess they were really out of names when they named this one. It is the desert. From El Paso all the way to Las Cruces NM area. I actually found out after the post was made they are in NM, somewhere in the "wilderness". Alas, they are not too far from ElPaso. So close enough.
Is it wrong that I'm jealous that he's in El Paso? I don't think so. I wish I'd known ahead--my parents would have had him for a home-cooked meal! El Paso is almost as windy as Lubbock, but it's great pro is that it's gorgeous and nowhere near as oppressive. :)
Post a Comment