Sunday, February 24, 2008

Happy Birthday Justin!

I wanted to take a little time and write a note and say Happy Birthday to my wonderful husband.



Now, I am not too good with words, especially ones that are kind or praising. This may sound strange, but I am exceedingly critical of the people I love most, which leads to me being the absolute hardest on Justin. As he was packing a box tonight to get ready to head to Iraq (this box will go before him) it really hit me that he was going to be leaving soon. Yes, I have known for some time now...but tonight it really hit home. Packing away his computer, clothing, and even the cat trying to climb in the box. Soon he will be gone and all those things of which I criticize will mean nothing. Despite what I may say at times, I would rather have him 10 times as imperfect and home with me than ideal and at war in Iraq. Which I guess in a way means that you, Justin, with all of your imperfections included, are perfect to me. He has a heart of gold and is one of the most giving, loving people I have ever met. These are qualities that many people never get to see because of his gentle, yet shy nature. That is what I realized as I watched him pack tonight. While he is gone I will not have anyone around to tote my Dr. Pepper from the grocery store, talk to me for hours to avoid doing work, or offer to squish my back in the middle of the night when I am in pain. These things will be sorely missed. I will even miss the times when he comes home after weeks apart and says hello to Cleo before me. :) Thus, Justin, while you are at work today remember that I do love you, and want you to have a wonderful, and full of love, Happy Birthday.

Love, Your Wifey


P.S. I would appreciate it if you could come back from Iraq in one piece, sooner rather than later.

Perhaps then I will be more appreciative of what I have.

9 comments:

Chavonne said...

It takes a lot of strength to be able to admit that. I get more critical and snippy with Kalem when we are about to be separated (I really don't know why) and as soon as we're apart, I realize how I really should show him how much I appreciate him. Good luck to us both with this process.

Sonia said...

I don't know Justin but tell him happy birthday!!!

Diana said...

A - I'm glad you realize it now than later...most people don't get the opportunity to really appreciate what they have, while they have it!

J - Happy Birthday! I hope you come home safe. You know you'll be in both of our (J & mine) thoughts. You have a lot of people behind you, and proud of what you do!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Justin!

Crystal said...

Whoa! Did you hear about the craziness at Ferrum this morning! I thought of you though you are not there.

Rebekah said...

That was such a sweet post. I can't imagine what I'd do if Ben had to leave for so long. Be safe Justin and Happy (late) Birthday.
At least Allison will have a new house to put in order and a new job that will keep her busy. Love the house plans and the lot location looks ideal.

Allison Hollingsworth Deming said...

I did hear about the thing that happened at Ferrum this morning. It looks like they have a good system in place. If anyone is wondering what Crystal is speaking of, see this: http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g5ukiFY06MtHv6EUHZmJDXwUT1pQD8V24EI00 You can copy and pasteit into your browser. But my guess is that I will not be seeing this student on campus next year (on ANY campus really).

Justin Deming said...

Thank you all for being so encouraging & supportive. I will miss being gone for some long, but at least I will have something to look forward to when I get back.

I will be keeping myself busy in Iraq, and it is nice to know Allison will not have very much time to get bored :)

Allison Hollingsworth Deming said...

Who says I am not going to get bored?